If I had a dollar every time one of my children asked for a snack, I could retire tomorrow. It’s amazing how many snacks my little ones can consume on a daily basis and I have been on a mission to find healthier options to fill their bellies. I am convinced kids will eat anything if it comes in muffin form so this Healthy Spinach Muffin recipe has been a winner with our family. My kids even call them Christmas Muffins and I roll with it. Whatever works, am I right?
These healthy muffins are packed with spinach, fruit and steel-cut oats and last for about 5 days in the refrigerator. I love that the oats replace any flour and the sweetness comes from the honey and the fruit. They are also perfect to have on hand for a quick and easy breakfast on busy mornings.
To make this recipe even easier, I love to toss everything into my Vitamix blender. The clean-up is a breeze and the blender gives the muffin batter the perfect consistency. They are super forgiving and can be modified for your children’s taste. You can also try adding peanut butter, nuts, chocolate chips or dried fruit.
Healthy Spinach Muffins
- 1 Cup Steel-Cut Oats (Blended)
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Apple (Cored and Sliced)
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 2 Large Handfuls Spinach
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Add the Steel-Cut Oats to the blender and blend until it reaches a "flour" consistency
- Once the Steel-Cut Oats are blended, add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth (Depending on your blender, it might be easier to blend the wet ingredients first and then add the dry ingredients)
- Spray your muffin pan with cooking spray (We use coconut oil spray from Sprouts) or add muffin liners to your pan
- Pour the batter in each muffin cup about 3/4 full
- Bake for about 15 minutes for mini-muffins and 30 minutes for regular muffins
I hope your kiddos enjoy these muffins as much as mine do! What are some of your favorite kid-friendly snacks? Make sure to check out another family favorite, the Chocolate Granola Bites. Enjoy!