Our family loves a good movie night and every good movie night has to include a big bowl of freshly-popped popcorn. For many years we purchased the microwave popcorn bags and have even used this nifty bowl thing. I recently saw a post on Facebook that people are using their Instant Pots to pop popcorn! Of
The Instant Pot pops the best popcorn! It is consistent, I can control what is in it, and it leaves very few kernels unpopped. I have tried a few different variations and this has been our favorite! The key is using Refined Coconut Oil instead of Unrefined. The Refined has a higher smoke point and is perfect for
Instant Pot Popcorn
- 1/2 Cup Popcorn Kernels We used Organic
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Must use Refined Coconut Oil – It has a higher smoke point than Unrefined
- Salt Optional – to taste
- Butter Optional – to taste
- Heat your Instant Pot on the high saute function until it is hot – about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the Coconut Oil to the pot and wait for it to melt and coat the bottom of the pan. Make sure the coconut oil is HOT and that the bottom of the pan is fully coated.
- Add your kernels to the pot and stir to coat.
- Wait about a minute until the kernels are coated and hot.
- Put a glass lid on top of your Instant Pot and wait for the kernels to begin popping (It will take a couple of minutes to start) – I use a generic glass lid that fits my pot, but Instant Pot sells one specifically made for the Instant Pot.
- Wait until most of the popcorn has popped (about 4 minutes) and then turn off your Instant Pot.
- Wait until you do not hear consistent popping and remove the Instant Pot insert with oven mits and pour the popcorn into a bowl.
- Wait for the popcorn to cool a couple minutes and add salt, melted butter and any additional spices or flavors you like!
Do you and your family have any favorite movie snacks? I also love to add chocolate chips to the popcorn for a little sweet and salty mix. Let me know your favorite way to make popcorn below!